The hatch going down to the engine room had rusted a lot around the lip where water had been allowed to collect. There was also an overhang where the steel could not be proper sandblasted when it was built first.
Here is a diagram of where the rust was at its worst and a photo of the hatch before I started work on it:
First I took the hatch off and knocked out as much rust as I could with the hammer drill.
I then took the angle grinder and cut way the lip all around the edge. After doing this I found that there was only one side where the wall of the lip had rusted through completely. This was a big relief as I was dreading having to replace the whole valley all the way around the hatch.
I cut out the very weak metal and cleaned down the rest of it:
I then welded in a new piece of off steel and grinded everything flush.
When this was done I went around with a wire brush to clean down the entire valley and painted it with Epoxy 2 Pack.
Our new solar panels and wind turbine have finally arrived! We decided to get a combination of solar and wind power generation so that we would always have a good supply of electricity on the boat. We did our research and we sourced that we could ordered both the solar panels and the wind turbine as a package deal. We avoided buying them from a chandlery as they were far too expensive. We found the on amazon and we received the delivery within a week.
The wind turbine doesn’t have a brand but it looks good and sturdy even if the finish isn’t as polished as a named brand. The wind turbine has a peak output of 400 watts. We will need to put a pole up on the stern of the boat to mount it. We will then need to run cables from the wind turbine down to the engine room where we will have all the power management.
The solar panels were bigger than we expected. We will need to plan where we will mount the panels on the boat. Each panel has a peak output of 180 watts.
The kit also included a charge controller that manages the solar panels and wind turbine.
The engine in our boat is in a room of its own. This means that we never have oil or diesel or fumes from the engine coming into our living space. It also means that I have a place to keep all of the tools we need for fixing the boat in a separate location.
The engine we have is a 65hp Sole Diesel which is a Mitsubishi engine that has been converted to run in a boat. The engine has its own coolant that runs through a heat exchanger which is cooled by salt water. This means that there is no salt water running through the engine. We put this engine into her just before we went on our last big trip so it’s still very new and in great condition.
Unfortunately due to a leaky vent and the boat been put away in a rush the last time it was used, the engine room was a bit of a mess.
The engine room also has a small work bench with a vice on it.
We spent the weekend cleaning out the bilge and taking out all the rubbish.
We can access the top of the engine from the floor of the wheel house, this is also where the engine battery is stored.
And here is a picture after we cleaned out all the loose rust and cleared the drainage pipe which was blocked.
And a photo of the floor of the engine room after I power washed it.
When my Dad built the boat first he installed a proper kitchen sink into the boat. It worked great for years but on our last trip, where I was living on the boat in France with my Dad, we found that the sink wasn’t draining properly. We lived with it as it was not a big inconvenience at the time. After we came back from France it got progressively worse but as we were mainly day sailing her I ignored it.
Now that the boat is out of the water and we are doing a big job on her I decided to take the hole unit out and find the root of the problem.
The sink itself wasn’t too hard to get out as it was held in with only a few screws and the flexible drainage pipe was attached with jubliee-clips. After that there is a steal flange for the flexible pipe to go over, a valve and a heavy steal pipe that is welded to the hull. The sea-cock is designed in such away that even if the valve is taken off the heavy pipe the sea will still be lover than the top of the pipe.
This is a great design but unfortunately even though I had changed the flexible pipe to try and resolve my issue I never checked the Heavy Pipe. I can be seen here trying to remove the old valve which was seized and blocked.
The inside of the pipe and valve were almost completly caked up with dried kitchen waste and mud.
I have also taken a lot of the parts off the cooker and cleaned down all the surfaces in the galley. I will wire brush all of the cooker parts in the workshop at home and possibly spray them with thermal paint to give them a fresh new look.
Here is the boat which will be bringing us around the world. The boat was built in 1990. It was named AnGobadán by Dermot Kennedy. She has made numerous excursions to France over the years but we are now preparing her for her biggest voyage yet. The boat has been on the hard for three years, taking up residency at Old Court, Skibbereen. Irial and I have now commenced reviving the boat as we prepare for a year long adventure at sea.